Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Ghana 07 - Part 1

On May 1-11, 2007, I went with a team of 15 people to the Village of Hope in Ghana, W. Africa. Most of the team are from my church, Prestoncrest Church of Christ in Dallas, but four were from Kingsville, TX and one, my close friend Jeanette, is from Little Rock. We had such a wonderful, meaningful time. (This was my second time to go, see photos from last year.)

The Village of Hope is an orphanage, school, and clinic about an hour's drive from Accra, the capital of Ghana. It's located in a village called Fetteh, which is right on the beautiful coast.

Our main job was to paint the inside of one of the 7 cottages, The Chisholm House, where approximately 24 children sleep. But we did so much more! We spent precious time with the kids; were present for the 2nd Hope Academy graduation; helped to dedicate the newest "cottage" duplex, the Prestoncrest House, which houses 48 kids; and visited the Hope House in Accra (more on this under the pictures). What a blessing to be so involved with such a wonderful Christian work!

They asked each one of us to bring a trunk that would be given to a child to be used for his/her own personal storage place. In those trunks we packed items that would be distributed throughout the VOH. I took soccer balls, pumps and needles; toothbrushes and soap; stickers and notebooks. All of these items were donated by friends, family, or church congregations that I have been affiliated with.



We left Dallas on Tuesday afternoon. This is me and Jeanette standing in line at the airport. (her son is telling us bye)



Pat brought Village of Hope labels for our trunks.





Jeanette brought lots of stuff to do on the plane. Crochet, sudoku, games - including this game, Pass the Pigs. Fun fun fun.



Jeanette crocheted up a storm!



We arrived at the airport in Accra Wednesday evening. We had to wait a while because our ride got stuck in traffic.




Ghana is celebrating their 50 year anniversary. These signs were everywhere.



We finally met up with our group, had dinner at the nearbye restaurant, and made it to the VOH safe and sound. The electricity was out so it was interesting finding our bed. Thankfully, I had been there before so I was at ease.

Thursday morning, I was excited and was out and about before breakfast! We stayed in the Boyd House. Each cottage is named after the group that donated the money to build it.



I found my beautiful butterflies and flowers again!



I also found Comfort. She didn't remember me, but it was so good to see a familiar smile.



They were making porridge.



This is the inside of our cottage. After breakfast, we had a meeting to talk about the schedule for the day. Lots of tours and begin work!



At this point, a family that included the husband, wife and 3 kids walked in and introduced themselves to our whole group. The Rider family from TN.



They were there working for a few months to "try it out" to see if it's right for them to be permanent missionaries and work at the VOH. Then Danny Rider says that he feels like he knows one in our group very well. He points to me and says "Joan". I was a little taken back since I didn't recognize them! He reminded me that he posted a comment on my blog here. He had used my pictures from last year to prepare his family for this trip. How cool it is to learn that God used my little 'ol blog for such a big purpose! (the reason this trip will be covered in more detail)

We divided up the contents of all the trunks to get ready for distribution. There were sports equipment, school supplies, hygeine items, soccer jersies and dresses. We also packed painting supplies for our work.



Fred Asare, the VOH Director, took us on a tour of the Prestoncrest House. The official dedication is scheduled for Saturday.





Muhammad and Isaac were among several kids excited to see us and followed us around as we toured the new house. Here Jeanette is consoling Muhammad after he had an accident.









They still need wardrobes to hold their clothes and shoes. Can you help with that?





This certificate was taped inside a book on one of the beds. She had completed one of the reading assignments and received the book as a gift.


As we walked the campus, we were met with many smiles.



Worship assembly takes place in this building.





Next, we toured the clinic.





By the time we were done with the tours, we were very HOT! Here Pat gathers us to give us instructions on our work.





Let the work begin! Pat is using the paint sprayer.


Below is Charlie, one of the elders at Prestoncrest Church of Christ in Dallas, TX.



The man in the green shirt is Ken, elder from Kingsville Church of Christ, Kingsville, TX. The little boy is Mowlie, the same boy in the photos with me from last year.


This is Francis. He's one of the graduates and Jeanette developed a special bond with him. You will see lots of photos with him and Jeanette.



Tim paints the outside bars.



At this point, I was beginning to feel very hot and dizzy. I walked down to the shop, less than half a mile away, to get a hammer to pull nails out of the walls. By the time I got back, I was feeling very faint. I pulled out a few nails, but had to go sit down. Everytime I stood up, everything was going black. I started to panic and had a hard time breathing. I got very embarrassed, which made it worse. So, I laid down in my room for the rest of the afternoon. I concluded it was a combination of heat and my meds. I altered my med routine for the rest of the time I was there! Needless to say, I had to take it easy. I was very embarrassed, but there was nothing else I could do. I was able to work more later, but not like I wanted to.

By the time the sun went down, I was able to walk around with Jeanette. This became one of our favorite routines during the rest of our stay....visiting with the house parents and kids at night.




Princilla loves to play. She is very sweet and beautiful!



Here they are painting the Prestoncrest sign on the building in preparation for the dedication.



D after a long day's work!



Kent and Tommy went to Accra today to make a bank run and to pick up the trunk that came to the airport a day late. Here Kent is counting the CeeDees (money) that will be distributed to those of us who requested to exchange our dollars to CeeDees.



Jeanette was quite the journaler. Maybe some day she'll let me read it? :)




This concludes Thursday night.

(go to part 2)

13 comments:

tamandscott said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E, Joan! I have heard such great things about doing work in Ghana, and I am so glad you were able to go again. Where did your friend get the fun travel games? I'll need something to keep the Mr. busy while I am reading on the plane!

LaughingLaura said...

YAY! It's about time you got around to posting this - hopefully you won't take so long to post section two. I'm looking forward to reading it soon! :-D

no said...

Very good...

Cyber Pancakes said...

I was here :)
Nicely bloged!

Judy said...

Good report (AND pictures) Joan. I'll look forward to more.

Corrie said...

I enjoyed reading and seeing the neat pictures! I'll be back for part 2!

amhmom said...

Looking forward to more of the report. Love all the pictures and dialogue about your time there. Sheila H.

angie c said...

I've got to get to Africa one of these days, probably when my kids are a bit older.

I feel like everyone in the world should see Africa. People don't realize how spoiled we are, and how much we have....how much others don't have.
Thanks for sharing your trip.

GliterallyScoot said...

This post is great! Love all the pictures!

By the way -- this is the link for the blog-rating (http://mingle2.com/blog-rating), and your blog is rated G for the lack of "bad words." :-)

Chris Shelly said...

I remember you .. now dont ask me what classes we had together! ha ha

Anonymous said...

Hi ... this is Guy... I told you I do read your blog... this is proof. Nice blog by the way.

Anonymous said...

Joan - this your Dad - your pictures and descriptions are great! I am really proud of you for being a part of this effort in Ghana.

nathan27 said...

That looks like it was fun. I wish I could go sometime but I am thinking about going to Mexico next summer.